EASY DIY PORCH SIGN
HAPPY TRANSFORMATION TUESDAY Y’ALL!
Okay, I’ll admit, this isn’t exactly a furniture transformation on this beautiful Tuesday, BUT, we kind of are transforming some blank wood, into an incredible front porch welcome sign! I think that counts too, right? Today, we’re going to show you how to take a blank piece of wood, and make it into an awesome decoration for your front porch for Fall! Of course, there’s a ton of fall decor in the stores right now, but they’re usually kind of pricey, and there’s always something special about creating and customizing a decor item for yourself, and especially if you have the tradition of using the same decorations, this would be perfect to past to year to year! It’s super easy, super simple, super inexpensive and is such a fun project to do with the kiddos.
*featured image by Must Have Mom
Source: The Wood Grain Cottage
- One .75″ x 7.25″ x 6′ pine board – you can find this at almost any home improvement store.
- Your choice of Stain color, you only need to use a sample size container for this project!
- Letters to spell “Welcome” or whatever you choose – you can find these at any craft store.
- Black or White ( or any color) Chalk Paint (for the letters)
- Wood glue
- Sealant, spray on or some polyurethane.
- (Optional) Burlap, wire-edged ribbon, or another design for the top!
- (Optional) Sandpaper
- Start off by painting your letters in chalk paint! Do this first so it gives them time to dry, and you can complete the project in one day if you would like! After these dry, you have the option to go over them with some sandpaper, to give them a more flat, and rustic look!
- Get your towel, dip it into the stain, and start staining the pine board! If you want a more rich color, go heavier with the stain, if you want something lighter, use a light hand! Stain definitely is pigmented, so I would suggest testing it out on the back of the board first, or another piece of pine! Let dry for about twenty minutes.
- After you stain your piece, and your letters are dry, it’s time to glue the letters onto the board! Use some wood glue, and place it on the back of each letter. Hold each letter for a good 10 seconds + and then let the letters sit to dry.
- When your piece is completely dry, go over the piece with some sandpaper, to give it that extra gritt for the polyurethane to stick!
- It’s time to seal it with some sealant! You can use the sealant of your choice, whether it’s a spray or rub, we suggest just using some good ol’ polyurethane and coating the surface completely! Let dry overnight, in a well-ventilated area.
- Add your finishing design to it. This is where you put your own personality into the decor! Either add a wire-edged ribbon, a big burlap bow, or even some pumpkin silhouettes – anything you want to to make this even more customized for you!
- Place this baby on your front porch, and voila – you got yourself an amazing front porch sign for fall!